Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Book Arts

We were off to another home school adventure recently. This time to Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA) in the Open Book Building in Minneapolis. This is a great resource that I'm just beginning to learn about. I signed AH up for 3 classes: Journal making, marbling and book making. I usually have to ask AH before I sign him up for field trips, but this one was filling fast and I made the decision alone. Poor me...for the entire 45 minute drive I heard a litany of complaints about too many field trips, how this one sounded "lame" and why can't we just do stuff at home?! AH really is a homebody. He can entertain himself for days on end without complaint. The key to getting AH to enjoy something, is to just get him there. I think the confinement of the car can wreak havoc with his psyche. He hates long drives and Minneapolis is about a 40 to 45 minute drive from our home. But once he is at the destination, he usually has a blast! We usually try to listen to our history CD, The Story of the World, or things like Beethoven Lives Upstairs to make the trip go faster. The trip to MCBA was great once we got there. We walked in and immediately recognized one of his favorite homeschool friends. AH had no idea what classes he was signed up for and I was a little apprehensive about his reaction to the marbling class. I had nothing to fear! He does love art and this was art and magic combined. They say a picture is worth a thousand words... Using the comb to drag through the paints

Another technique using a chop stick

One of his finished projects which we matted and framed.


Making a book starts with covering the front and back covers


Attaching the covers to the binding tape

The finished book and journal!

No comments: