Friday, October 3, 2008

Why Blue Skies?

I have always been inspired by my children. I am a rather timid person and have always been more concerned with pleasing others rather than asserting any of my opinions. AN, my oldest, has, despite being raised by me, become a tactful, vocal woman. She has the ability to truly listen to others, but calmly assert her views and back them up. I really wish I was more like her. AD, my middle child, has a natural curiosity about the world. He is truly a renaissance man. Whether it's math, cooking, art or writing he ventures into it without fear and with enthusiasm usually with great success. Since I tend to be timid, I find this refreshing. I wish I could be more like him.
AH has never had an easy time with "school." He attended public school until the beginning of 4th grade. He has inspired me with his perseverance and attitude. I think I would have given up and withdrawn from the world had I gone through what he did. I wish I was that tough. Homeschooling allows him to shine and work at his own pace on his own terms(which includes a very large exercise ball...a topic for another post, perhaps!) He is also very creative and sensitive. During his kindergarten year an artist in residence worked with the kids on a peace project using poetry and art. When it was all over each student had a poster they had made which described their Peace of Peace. The artwork was displayed in our local co-op and finally assembled into a beautiful book with a poem written by the artist. It is still my favorite of AH's artwork. It hangs in a frame in a prominent position in our home.
Can you guess what AH's peace of peace is?

2 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Somehow I missed this link before. What a lovely sentiment and excellent artwork. Even more touching, you posted it on my 21st wedding anniversary. One of my most vivid memories of that day was how amazingly blue the sky was. I still treasure crisp, autumn days in Minnesota. You are such a gift to us all.
Love,
BC'62

Sue VanHattum said...

I love that you wish you were more like ... each of your children.