Thursday, October 9, 2008

Changes in our home

AN, our daughter, graduated from college earlier this year. She has her own apartment in the city along with a new car and a new job. I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that she is on her own and most likely won't be living with us anytime soon. I've managed to avoid thinking about this until recently. AH is moving into her old room. As long as her room was set up the way she left it, I guess a part of her was still here. There was possibility. Don't get me wrong, I know my job as a parent is to prepare my children for life on their own. But change is hard. Our family dynamics have changed. This change is hard on all of us, but, especially so for AH, our youngest. When we have dinner together (which, unfortunately, isn't every day because of work and football schedules) I have commented how nice it is to sit down with the whole family for dinner. AH corrected me and told me the whole family was NOT together. AN wasn't here.
All this introspection really has to do with the fact that we are painting AH's new room. He picked out the colors, the design, and helped me to figure out how much paint we needed for the room. (hands on math!!!) I thought I would share some pictures. Our goal is to be finished painting by Friday afternoon (before the varsity football game!) Hopefully we can start moving furniture into the room this weekend. AH's old room will become a learning/project room. I'm looking forward to a place we can leave projects while we are working on them (we need that dining room table for dinners!!!). Also a place for all the books and supplies will be nice! Here is a picture of the room today (we've got quite a lot of work to do before tomorrow evening!) Wish us luck!

No comments: